Call Us Today 850-438-9647


Solving tenant and landlord disputes easily

Posted by Charles S. Liberis | Nov 24, 2017 | 0 Comments

When you are renting a property from a landlord, or when you are leasing your property to a tenant, it is important to have a professional relationship.

On paper, this sounds quite simple: Signing a contract together should create black and white guidelines for you both to follow. However, there can be times when you disagree on things in the contract or about issues that have not been specified in the contract. In these times, it's important to act carefully. The following are some of the most frequently asked questions about landlord and tenant disputes.

Can I settle a dispute out of court?

The ideal situation would be that the two parties can meet in a neutral setting and solve the issue in a calm and mature manner. However, this will not always be possible. This does not mean that the case will need to go to court, however. You could involve a third-party mediator.

A third-party mediator was not successful. What happens next?

If you have exhausted all out-of-court options, then you should consider going to small claims court. This is a type of court that solves smaller types of issues such as disputes regarding a small amount of money, including unpaid rent.

How can I avoid disputes like these in the future?

A sound lease contract is usually the best way to prevent disputes from occurring in the future. You should also make sure that all communication is in writing.

If you wish to solve a dispute relating to renting a property, it is important to gather all documentation and take action when you feel necessary so that you can resolve the landlord-tenant dispute as quickly as possible.

Source: Findlaw, “Landlord Tenant Disputes FAQs,” accessed Nov. 24, 2017 Posted on Real Estate Litigation

About the Author

Charles S. Liberis

Charles S. Liberis is a native of Pensacola and a graduate of Stetson University College of Law. Mr. Liberis started his career as legislative aide to Congressman Robert L. F. Sikes of Florida. Upon returning to Florida he started the Liberis Law Firm. The Firm is a boutique law firm focusi...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

How Can We Help You?

Our attorneys are ready to handle all your asset protection, business, estate planning, real estate, and tax resolution needs. Arrange a consultation with us by calling 850-438-9647 or contact us online.